Monday, August 1, 2011

CHEESE DREAMS AND LIPSTICK



It is amazing how memory can be stirred - I have just had a toasted cheese sandwich which tasted exactly like the ones my Grandmother used to make for me and used to call "Cheese Dreams"

In an instant I was transported back to her house and her kitchen with the special stool just for me and I could see her very clearly hair all neatly pinned back and apron on.

She loved me with a passion and spoiled me - nothing was too good for me and yet she cared enough to let me know if I had crossed the line and she would gently pull me back.

I recall playing in a tiny drawer in her dresser that was just for her "make up" not that there was much in there, but there were lipsticks and I used to have so much fun putting them on. 
Always when I buy a new lipstick I think of her and wish I could take her shopping and buy her new lipsticks.   Whenever I apply lipstick I always smell it first - it reminds me of the wonderful lady I was blessed to have as my "Nanny".

Love and hugs,
Linda. 

2 comments:

  1. To me Linda you shared the same love of your Nanny as I did my Grandma, my Father's Mother. There was always a Victoria Sponge Cake in her cake tin. Those were the days of finese. Beautiful sterling silver teaspoons adorned a lovely tea set. Butter that was "curled" using a butter curler, similar to two ping pong bats, and placed in a lovely crystal shallow dish which contained cold water. Scones, jam, and cream, and the table set beautifully, because I was arriving. No,not the Queen and Prince Philip, it was just me Moyra, her little Grandaughter. It was the school summer holidays in Aberdeen and I always spent a month with my Grandma. Upon returning to school after the holidays the teacher would always ask each one of us in the class what we did during the holidays. Some children went to Spain, or London, even a trip on the train to Edinburgh was special. I wonder why my school chums laughed when I told them I spent a month with my Grandma in Cummings Park, a suburb of Aberdeen. You could keep your holidays abroad, your trips to London, and even the day trips to Edinburgh. I was where I wanted to be, and that was with my Grannie. Love Moyra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moyra - thank you for sharing such joy and memory in your beautiful comment. Cherish your beautiful thoughts of your Grandmother - she thought you very special and so do I.

    Love and hugs,
    Linda.

    ReplyDelete